Join the IPLDAY Oct 13 Tweet-up #talkplain2015 at 9am PT
Successful plain language projects have these seven characteristics in common:
1. the team - strategically choose people who can help you reach your goal.
2. SMART goals - reduce the volume of content in a document or simplify the writing.
3. clear guidelines - create a style guide for the project so everyone has the same information.
4. carefully select document or information collection - keep it manageable.
5. user or reader feedback - helps drive the project forward.
6. training - for team and staff.
7. evaluation strategy - track all key developments.
Whether you are doing one document or an organizational overhaul, these steps are important. Success depends on excellent project management and team leadership. You can do it!
Take the IPLDAY2015 #WriteClearly2015 Challenge.
Choose a document. Give it a plain language make over.
Share on Twitter by posting a link to your example with the #WriteClearly2015 tag.
Seven steps to plain language
1.Select your document or group of documents.
2.Use plain language checklist to assess what clear communication guidelines are being used. Are missing?
3. Establish project style guide for everyone to use.
4. Carry out one or two readability or usability tests.
5. Edit document to style guide and test results.
6. Proof and re-test.
7. Finalize and design for readability.
When you reach the top of the mountain you will have a great view! Every project is a great learning experience. Expect a few surprises along the way. But, plan to celebrate the project and use it as a template in going forward.
If you need advice - get in touch.